Thursday, December 27, 2018

#26 - Visit 52 New Buildings in Chicago (Fail)

I'm sure those of you who are taking the time to read this think this is a strange item to add. However, every time I enter a cool space in Chicago, I think, "Wow. This city has limitless amazing spaces." So I made it a list item to see them. Not all of the following are amazing. But some really are.

Outside of The Pink Squirrel & Deadbolt
However, this was a really tough list item to track. I remembered at the start of the year but slowly forgot this was one of my list items. So it's possible I hit it and just don't remember other buildings I visited! And part of the point was to take pictures to show the range, and I definitely didn't do that. Oh well!

1 - 2412 N. Milwaukee
1/9/18, with Stephanie Souvenir and Denisse Ocasio
This building spans a few addresses and houses several businesses. I walk by it weekly on my way to host trivia. It's not what I had in mind when I wrote this item, but I'm counting all of the buildings. This building houses both The Pink Squirrel and Deadbolt, which I wrote about in my post about going to 12 new bars. It's a pretty basic one-story business, but the spaces within it are really different and well designed.

2 - 5625 N. Broadway
1/13/18
Again, not the space I was imagining when I went to Northside Toyota to get my oil changed. Their garage is a huge indoor space. It was a frigid day, and even though the two garage doors were constantly opening, heaters were coordinated to blast just the right amount of heat to keep it comfortable. I couldn't believe how many cars they fit in such a tight space. There was constant movement. And so much light from above. Really quite a lovely space that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed.
n I came up with this list item, but the first where I was aware of being in a new space. It was actually quite fascinating once I took notice.

3 - 1100 W. Bryn Mawr
1/13/18
While waiting for my oil to get changed, I ran down the street to get some food. Nookies Edgewater was right there, so I gave it a try. This space is way different than Nookies Too. It has a more modern, upscale vibe, though the service felt more like a slow-paced diner. Lots cooler spaces out there, but big enough that it didn't feel overwhelmingly busy and rushed.

4 - 5050 N. Sheridan
1/15/18
I tried out Crossfit at Primary Crossfit. A big, open, Crossfitty-type space.

5 - 2524 N. Orchard St.
1/16/18
I was assigned to observe my class at St. Clement's School in Lincoln Park. It was exactly what you'd think: an old, urban, Catholic school. But with a gym with a TON of sweet equipment.

6 - 2607 W. 17th St
1/16/18
I went to a fundraiser at Lagunitas Chicago for 826 Chicago. What a really cool space. I've been to a lot of breweries, but this. was. huge. It's playfully painted all the way through. When you walk in, you're greeted by a host and a loooonnnggg underwatery hallway with the chimes from the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory song. There are a few event spaces. We were in the bar area, on the third floor, but the third floor hallway windows overlook another space, a huge, purple game room where another event was taking place. The bar looked like a cozy bar, except the windows overlook the warehouse floor and all the brewing space. It's like being in a bar in a treehouse above a sea of beer. Then, there are catwalks all the way through the warehouse space where you can wander and watch people checking the giant casks, packing things, fixing things... Really a brewery wonderland. This is the kind of new space I had in mind when I made this list item. So glad I now know of yet another amazing place to visit and take visitors here in Chicago.

7 - 1102 W. Webster
1/25/18 with Nicole Garton and John Washo
We deviated from our usual happy hour spots this week, including a stop at Local Option with Nicole & John. It's definitely a bit craft beer, dark references (lots of 666s around the bar) pretentious but also great beer options. The server asked me what kind of beer I like, and I said whiskey, and he said they only had Maker's Mark and Jameson. So apparently they're not whiskey snobby. Or they're so whiskey snobby that that's what the owner likes so that's all there is. Either way, I made do.

8 - 2728 W. Armitage
1/30/18 with Drea Stoit
Chicago Restaurant Week at Table, Donkey, Stick with Drea Stoit! Detailed here.

9 - 1800 N. Lincoln
2/13/18 with Nicole Garton and Stephanie Souvenir
Another 2 Bar Tuesday in the books! Laura Masters made the suggestions but couldn't make it to join us. The happy hour drink specials here are decent $5 bubbles and drafts. The food looked interesting but was a little more than I was looking to spend. The space was very modern and clean. Lots of lines and low, almost 70's style decor. I really liked one wall that had keys hung on it like an old timey hotel. I would definitely go back for the ambiance.

10 - 1612 N. Sedgewick
2/13/18 with Nicole Garton
Second stop for 2 Bar Tuesday with just Nicole. The bar itself was my kind of bar. A little divey but still interesting. I think it's a rugby bar, which could be good or bad. Not an impressive space but a bar I'd like to return to.

11 - 2357 N. Milwaukee
2/15/18 with Laura Masters and Beth Jager
Always gotta grab one more week when out with Laura Masters!

12 - 401 N. Morgan
2/23/18 with Laura Masters, Megan Morrison, Missy Liebs, and others
Tickled Pink Gala!

13 - 4229 N. Lincoln
3/13/18 with Leanne Surmin and Drea Stoit
Oops. Misplanned 2 Bar Tuesday but wound up in a new place!

14 - 737 W. Wrightwood
4/23/18 with Norris Narsa, Angela Howard, Edric Cruz, Jessica Ornelas, and Ahmed Atia
What a cool little event space for such a bittersweet event: Wishing Norris and Angela best wishes on their journey to life on the west coast. I miss them dearly!


15 - 108 N. Green
4/2/18 with Laura Masters, Alan Lee, Theresa Chen, and others
A night out watching the NCAA Men's Basketball final.

16 - 113-125 N. Green
4/2/18 with Laura Masters and Alan Lee
A pop over to Fox Bar after a tough Michigan loss. What a cool space. Really beautiful and pockets that vary in look, from bright and spacious to small and cozy.

17 - 1851 W. Addison
4/10/18 with Missy Liebs and Holly Zann
I love this bar.

18 - 1055 W. Argyle
4/19/18
Pho. Yum.

19 - 1604 W. Chicago
4/22/18 with Laura Masters, Alan Lee, Missy Liebs, Megan Voss, Megan Daly, Stephanie Loring, Brandon Loring, Scott Jensen
Brunchin' at Beatnik with some of my favs!

20 - 724 W. Wrightwood
4/27/18 with Nicole Garton
We stopped at Burwood Tap on a walk further north just to see what it was like. It was a bigger space than I thought. It had a combo cabin-dive bar vibe, which I dug.

21 - 2728 N. Milwaukee
4/27/18 with Nicole Garton and Stephanie Punda
When transitioning from happy hour into a night out, it's always best to stop for dinner! We stopped at Renaldi's After Dark this week. It was fine. Actually I really liked the space. We went to the bar side, which is dark and small but has a large bar in the middle with stools circling. Then, upstairs, there's a little lounge that they've decorated interestingly with space for live music. I dug the space. Not the pizza.

22 - 1901 N. Clybourn
5/16/18 on recommendation from Leanne Surmin
My first trip to the chiropractor. I love this space. If I had an office not on a campus, I'd love to be a redesigned, old Chicago building with old hardwood floors and bare, brick walls. Such a pretty space.

23 - 150 N. Dearborn
5/17/18
Petterino's for a DePaul School for New Learning alumni night


24 - 3166 N. Clark
5/26/18 with Nicole Garton, Stephanie Punda, Leanne Surmin, Stephanie Souvenir, and John Washo
Wing Woman Night lunch at Ceaser's Killer Margaritas

25 - 815 W. Van Buren
6/7/18 with Matt Specht, Dave Merrill, Christian Kopp, Stephanie Souvenir, Nicole Garton, Stephanie Punda, Maureen McGonagle, Gale Stewart, Scott Vandermoon

Loved the Google Chicago spaces
25 - 320 N. Morgan
6/19/18 with Justin Phillips, John Washo, Leanne Surmin, Maureen McGonagle, Gale Stewart, Sarah Hardin, Scott Vandermoon, Rees Grant, Stephanie Souvenir, Stephanie Punda, Courtney Griffin, Nicole Garton
Such a cool trip to the Chicago Google Headquarters. I LOVED the local graffiti-type art. Gorgeous. Just a really cool space.





26 - 1200 W. Randolph
6/19/18 with Robin Heggum
We saw Roxane Gay!

27 - Unsure
6/19/18 with all the folks listed above at Google.
We had part of our summer retreat the Brailsford and Dunlavey offices in Chicago. The conference room was small, but the views were incredible.


28 - 1307 S. Wabash
6/24/18 with Laura Masters, Nicole Garton, and Jerry Munk
We had dinner at Lobo Rey.

29 - 1454 S. Michigan
6/23/18 with Laura Masters, Alan Lee, Eileen, Nicole Garton, and Jerry Munk
After dinner, we had a stop at Vice District Taproom in the South Loop. We played Taboo. I enjoyed the space in that it was a comfortable place to hang out and there were chalkboards everywhere. I wish they had fresh pieces of chalk for easier writing, but I enjoy a place that lets its guests leave their mark.

30 - 5358 N. Clark
7/8/18 with Ryan Groth
So happy to have a little Sunday Funday with my SD buddy Ryan. We hit up a few spots I knew but then also stopped in Replay in Andersonville to take advantage of the open windows on a gorgeous day. We did not take advantage of the free game play but maybe next time!

31 - 12  S. Michigan
7/15/18 with Grace Bagunu
We popped up to Cindy's in the Chicago Athletic Club. The inside was cool but I was expecting a bit more from the "rooftop" everyone raves about. It's just a balcony, though granted, a balcony with a beautiful view.


32 - 212 N. Green
8/3/18 with Nicole Green
A stop at the new Ballast Point location that I had no idea existed until Nicole came to town with some beer-knowledgeable friends. I don't really drink beer anymore but I had a taster or two in honor of my former San Diego life where I did drink beer.

33 - Unsure
8/22/18 with Rebeca Matus and friends
I was in a church somewhere on Ashland(?) for Rebeca's wedding. I can't seem to find the exact location. It was the only church I was in all year, and it was incredibly beautiful.


34 - 820 W. Lake St
9/1/18 with Laura Masters, Alan Lee, Megan Daly, Beth Jager, Missy Liebs, and Scott Jensen
I hit up Momotaro for Masters' birthday with some delightful company. What a gorgeous space. We were seated upstairs where we could look through the glass wall to the staircase and down at the bar. I didn't take any photos but I should have! The dinner details are here.

35 - 3123 N. Clybourn
sometime in September with JJ
A trip to the emergency vet with JJ: she's fine.

36 - 1136 W. Lawrence
11/9/18
A fun night out with Souvenir!

37 - 1550 N. Fremont
12/1/18
I got to meet Stephanie Izard in a Williams Sonoma that looks way bigger on the inside than the outside!

38 - 2936 N. Southport
I went to a show with Michael Bigelow at The Athenaem. The space itself was not as nice and as I thought. I wish it had the old theater specialness, but it just seems like a run-down theater.

39 - 108 N. State St.
12/6/18 with Laura Masters, Missy Liebs, Megan Morrison, and Carrie Kalita

No comments:

Post a Comment