Sunday, December 16, 2018

#6 - Read 3 More Books From the Top 100 of the 20th Century List

#7 - Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
12/9/18

This was a reread. I'd read Catch-22 maybe 15 years ago. I remember being impressed by the cruel wittiness and ironies throughout. I was struck by the same again this time around. What struck me even more this time was that though this book is laced with genuinely funny scenes, situations, and characters, it does not pull punches when it comes to the realit
ies of the inevitable pains of war. The annoyances are actually annoying to read, the heartbreak visceral and sudden. And it's so full of toxic masculinity that I suspect Heller wrote misogyny purposefully, reflective of his wartime experiences and the extreme objectification of women of the time. But now that I'm reading another one of his books, I'm less sure how much self-awareness about the treatment of women in his books is present. Regardless, I'm glad I read this again and highly recommend it to anyone who has not yet.

#15 - To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
1/5/18

This book didn't make a huge impression on me. When I think of it, I think of a romantic yet melancholy feeling and brooding men and women, but it's tough to remember anything about the story except standing on the beach. I'm curious why this book didn't really strike me more than that.

Also, I find the cover on the version that is linked to be upsetting. I'm glad my copy is just an old timey hardcover.

#90 - Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
6/9/18

It took me a long time to finish this book, yet it was really, really good. It's incredible how Rushdie can write so complexly yet his poetic turns of plot are so clear. It's clear that Rushdie has continued to hone his craft since this first major novel, and I look forward to reading more of the work of this literary and political celebrity.



No comments:

Post a Comment