Monday, December 10, 2018

#27 - See One of My Favorite Comedians

For about the past year and a half, I have been SO into the podcast My Favorite Murder. It's two women who are into true crime, so most episodes, they each (casually) research a story of a murder and then tell those stories to each other. I love it because Karen Kilgariff is smart, funny, and real, and Georgia Hardstark drinks wine from a can, has super great cats, and seems so kind. Together, they're my favorite kind of pair: the kind of pair who complements each other and seems to see in the other an inspirational piece of themselves. Plus, I appreciate that when they say problematic things (out of ignorance), they immediately admit those mistakes, apologize, and often, make a gesture of their commitment to do better moving forward. At least on the air, they never lose themselves in defensiveness and denial, and I enjoy how they model that behavior, particularly for other white women.

So, after a year and a half of fandom, I was SO stoked that Karen and Georgia were coming to Chicago on their tour. And then, when it came to buy tickets... I realized I couldn't go.

So, there went that.

But, in one of my Murderino groups, someone said, hey, I didn't get tickets to MFM, but The Dollop is coming, does anyone want to to go that? And I was like, YES!

Maybe not an all-time favorite comedian, but I got to go to a live taping of The Dollop, a podcast I started listening to pretty religiously this year. It's an American history podcast where one comedian (Dave Anthony) tells a story from American history to his friend (Gareth Reynolds), who has no idea what the topic is... about. Sometimes, the podcasts are cry-alone-on-the-train-from-laughing funny while others expose our country's deeply problematic and really, shameful past. You never really know which one you're going to get, but I think that's partly why I like it.

Luckily, a new-ish friend and I are both into The Dollop, so even though there were not seats together, we managed to find seats 2 rows apart, met briefly before the show, and laughed about it after. It was a deeee-light. Attending live podcast tapings are now a thing I'm into.

Later that night I went to a bar that was taken over by pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment