Friday, April 22, 2011

#88 Eat in Chinatown



After one failed trip to Chinatown that ended in burgers and a birthday party, we finally made it southward and into Chinatown (after a short tour of the neighborhoods around White Sox Park).


Ed, Edric, and I took a leisurely stroll through the gate and down some Chinatown street, where I was shown the local architecture - like the community center that used to be full of Chinese gangsters - and culture - like the "We Call Police" signs. I saw where The Karate Kid was shot - meaning, Edric explained, where he was SHOT, not where the movie was shot. I learned that the Chinese traditionally walk... to their bikes. So much knowledge from my authentic tour guides.
















We arrived at Evergreen restaurant and the waitstaff eagerly approached us, again and again, asking for our orders, though we insisted we were waiting for our fourth. We had a secret appetizer while waiting. We also finished a pot of tea and annoyed the waitstaff with wanting more. They then said the kitchen was closing, so we had to fudge it. I had to get Edric to quickly translate the menu for me so I didn't end up with shark's fin soup, not that I haven't heard it isn't tasty but I will NEVER eat my friends, the sharks. And if I see you do it, I'll threaten to punch you in the face.




We had Walnut Shrimp, some kind of Beef with Peking Sauce something something, and Chicken Fried Rice. And White Rice. Then Nader showed up with his friend Chad. The restaurant staff stared us down as we all ate.


Then they gave us the check.


Then they busted out the vaccuums.


So we hurried to leave and I had to go the long way around as the guy with the vaccuum was chasing Nader out down the direct route to the door.


Our fortunes were lovely though. Usually I hate fortune cookies because they don't give fortunes anymore. Claudio & I decided awhile ago they should just change the name to Pleasant Thought Cookies, and then everyone would be happy. But now when I get, "You have a lovely smile," I just get angry it isn't a fortune. Last night though, I got, "A new pair of shoes will do wonders for you." I have mixed feelings about this. I would love to get a new pair of shoes, especially if they will do me wonders, but I'm broke. I guess this is what it's like to know the future and have to make choices knowing it. So difficult. Chad stupidly gave his fortune cookie to Edric, who then got 2 fortunes, the second one being, "Your present ventures will be successful," or something close to that. I wish I had gotten that one.



Then I mailed a letter.





So then we walked to the square, "where the cool kids hang out," according to Ed, and had some bubble tea. I had some anxiety with all the choices. So many pictures. (Ed explained the menu to me this time and Edric to Nader. Chad seemed okay on his own.) And it was only my second bubble tea. We had a nice philosophical debate on whether or not to stick with what you know and like (Edric) or try new things in case you like something better (Nader & me). Deep.


I ended up with pomegranate peach. Lovely. Stupidly, Edric didn't get the 50 ouncer. What a sucker.


We were then rushed out of that place as it was closing. We took some photos by some animals and did some tai chi.



The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment