Monday, May 9, 2011

#85 - Go To 3 Shows

To clarify, this meant 3 Broadway shows. Fortunatelly, Laura Masters organizes a Theater in Chicago group. Thanks, Masters!

The first show was Les Miserables. I'd seen it before. This rendition was eh. I liked the songs I already liked. And when Jean Valjean was walking through the tunnel, the effects were cool. But the title of the show was spelled wrong on the back drop. At the time, I was pretty sure it was, but I didn't want to say anything because my French is only so so (comme ci, comme ca). But they had the wrong accent mark. I looked it up the next day. Weird. (No, I don't know how to do accent marks on this website, so now I spelled it wrong while complaining it was spelled wrong. Whatev.)


The second show was Hair. I knew the music, so I was excited for it. Plus, I love hippies. It started slow, just describing each characater and their circumstances one at a time. Then there were the naked people just before the intermission. I knew that happened but I had totally forgot, so it was a bit of a shock. That was definitely the most naked people I'd ever seen in public standing still. I have to say standing still because I grew up and went to school in Ann Arbor, the former home of the naked mile.


The last show was Next to Normal. I'd never heard of it. I knew the UM Depression Center was doing a fundraising event by taking a group to the show on the same night we went because there is a character living with bipolar disorder. For a show I'd never heard of, it was amazing. The show was good; the story was good; the songs were good; the performers were amazing. I really loved it. It was much more emotional than I was prepared for on a Thursday night, but well worth some tears sitting alone in the theater. (No one I knew well went this time.) I highly, highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment