Thursday, August 11, 2011

#93 Read the Bible.

Yes, I actually read the entire Bible. The whole thing. Page 1 to 500. In order.

The feeling I was most left with was that clearly, no one has ever read this thing before. Not a chance. If anyone had, then when anyone cited passages, particularly from the Old Testament, anyone wishing to refute it would have some pretty easy counter passages to read. It's full of all kinds of things, especially violence. I couldn't believe how much violence. And judgement. So much judgement. And I still don't know if God and/or Jesus want us to judge people or not. I mean, I thought Jesus said not to, but then, we're not supposed to associate with sinful people, and who am I to decide who's sinful? I don't know.

Anyways, I am not attempting to start a big religious argument. Do I believe The Bible is the Word of God? No. (Strike me down.) I do believe that these stories probably have some basis in the history of life, but they were passed down word of mouth generation to generation, so I don't understand how people can believe it literally. I just don't. Do I believe some of the stories have lessons with merit? Sure. So does Vonnegut. Some stories and some people are just so wonderful for teaching lessons. It doesn't matter if they're historically accurate or not. Because as long as a story is going through a person, there are going to be some flaws, because people have their own lenses. Do I think I'm 100% right? How could I be? I think anyone who thinks he or she is definitely right is completely arrogant. Who are you to know all the secrets of the universe?

Just today, Clint Ruch posted a really wonderful NPR "This I Believe" piece by Penn Jillette that really represents my own religions beliefs pretty well. Feel free to read it if you want. Just know that I'm not trying to start an argument. I just think life is really beautiful and swell despite the bad things that happen. It makes me want to be a better person even more because of it. Thanks, Penn. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5015557

Just for good measure, so everyone believes I actually read this, here are some of my favorite obscure passages:

Genesis 6:11: "The earth aslo was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence."
Exodus 1:12: "So he looked this way and that way, and when he saw no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand."
Leviticus 5:17: "If a person sins, and comits any of these things which are forbidden to be done by the commandments of the Lord, though he does not know it, yet he is guilty and shall bear his iniquity."
Numbers 35:6: "Now among the cities which you will give to the Levites you shall appoint six cities of refuge, to which a man-slayer may flee. And to tehse you shall add forty-two cities."
Deuteronomy 10:16: "Therefore circumcize the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer."
2 Samuel 22:26-28: "With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful; / With a blameless man You will show Yourself blameless; / With the pure You will show Yourself pure; / With the devious You will show Yourself shrewd. / You will save the humble people; / But Your eyes are on the haughty that You may bring them down."
2 Kings 6:28-29: "Then the king said to her, 'What is troubling you?' And she answered, 'This woman said to me, 'Give your son, that we may eat him today, and we will eat my son tomorrow.' / 'So we boiled my son, and ate him. And I said to her on the next day, 'Give your son, that we may eat him': but she has hidden her son."
Job 10:9: "Remember, I pray, that You have made me like clay."
Psalm 45: "My heart is overflowing with a good theme; / I receite my composition concerning the King; / My tongue is the mpen of a ready writer."
Proverbs 1:22: "How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? / For scorners delight in their scorning. / And fools hate knowledge."
Ecclesiastes 1:5: "The sun also rides, and the sun goes down, / And hastens to the place where it arose."
Matthew 5:44: "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you."
Luke 12:34: "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

There were a lot more, but I'm tired of typing. My message with this post is love and be curious!

1 comment:

  1. Deuteronomy 23:1 - "No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord."

    ReplyDelete