Saturday, January 4, 2020

#15 - Try all of Ruhlman's 20 Techniques (Fail)

This is my third year trying to knock off practicing these 20 techniques. I still have 2 to go! The only reason it seems to have taken so long is that this book has gotten me so into cooking that I can't stop learning and trying things, not wanting to stick solely to one book. I watch and read Serious Eats. I have bought and read several other technique-based cookbooks. I've tried other styles. I love cooking. And I eat damn well now.

I only had 5 left this year, so I put links to previous years where appropriate. The ones from this year are in bold.

1. THINK: 2017 

2. SALT: 2017 & 2018

3. WATER: 2017  & 2018

4. ONION

There are basically always onions in my kitchen nowadays, and I use them quite often. Somehow, though, it took me until this year to try one of the onion techniques in Ruhlman's book. I kept it easy and mascerated some shallots. It sounds fancy, but it's literally just chopping shallots and then soaking them in (red wine) vinegar. Done. While I haven't mascerated any shallots since my delicious first attempt, I do now often mascerate onions. In fact, I've been mascerating onions for years and calling it "marinating." The nice thing about masceration is that you get raw onion flavor but all of the harsh bite of the onion is soaked out, so they go great on salads for a bit of acidity. 

I should really try some of the other onion recipes, playing with this vegetable a bit more, as every new technique I learn with them expands my capacities as a cook!


Beautiful popovers!
5. ACID: 2017

6. EGG: 2017 

7. BUTTER: 2017

8. DOUGH: 2017 

9. BATTER

I've been wanting to try making popovers ever since K Rob introduced me to their airy, gooey, crispy, butteryness a few years ago. They come out of the pan with drama, puffed up with air and richness. The recipe in Ruhlman's book seemed to easy to be true. Good news: it's super easy. I tried them at one of our Sunday night dinners with Chris Zann and Holly Zann. Success. And a delightful complement to our lasagna soup and bright salad with lemon vinegrette. Yes. 

10. SUGAR: maybe next year

11. SAUCE: 2017  & 2018

12. VINAIGRETTE: 2017 

13. SOUP: 2017 

14. SAUTE: 2018

15. ROAST: 2017

16. BRAISE: maybe next year

17. POACH: 2018

18. GRILL: 2018

19. FRY

I finally used Ruhlman's rosemary-brined fried chicken. While I have to say that my modified K2FC sandwich was better, this recipe is effing awesome. I made the fried chicken for a dinner with international students at DePaul. DePaul offers faculty and staff the opportunity to host international students in their home for a dinner on Saturday or Sundays each quarter. I was lucky in that my budy Stephanie Souvenir agreed to be my cohost, which was important because (a) I needed to cook and I still haven't mastered the cook/entertain combo, and (b) I hate small talk. I mean, I will totally do it again, but it was awkward. I then made it more awkward by smoking up the apartment with my frying and the pieces warming in the oven dripping oil into the over and smoking more. L

Luckily, the fried chicken itself was well received, as was the orange-balsamic salad and the messed up pop overs (which still tasted great but weren't super impressively popped over). I was quite happy that I made too much chicken (as one student no showed) for leftovers and then was bummed that most of the thighs were eaten up, as they were clearly the best pieces. Note to self: More thighs, fewer breasts and wings, same amount of legs.

So thrilled to have this recipe in my arsenal, particularly for smaller groups!

20. CHILL: 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment