Friday, July 12, 2019

#58 - See a Friend I Haven't Seen in at Least 3 Years

This is the bridge. #TRAB? #TRAV

Being single in my late 30's is a delight. I love it. But I'll be honest. Often when friends get engaged, I think, "Great. One less single friend and a little more risk of being excluded from 'couple things.'"

When my friend Laura got engaged, I was so thrilled. I love her. I love Alan. I love them together. I love hanging out with them separate or together. I have no doubt that Laura and my friendship will continue as it has for the last 20(!) years and I'm so excited to continue building my friendship with Alan and with them as a couple.

Once I processed the news of the engagement, I was selfishly thrilled because this meant I got to attend a bachelorette party and the a wedding in celebration.

I am so damn grateful to have a friend in Laura. Not only has she been a consistently amazing friend to me, she's somehow managed to be a consistently amazing friend to a number of some truly amazing people. I don't know how she has continued to stay so supportive, so thoughtful, so damn fun, and consistently in the lives of so many smart, fun, badass women.

This year, that translated into a dream of a bachelorette party in Charleston, South Carolina. Seventeen women from three states and two countries in a gorgeous, massive house on the beach. We drink, ate, and laughed and laughed and laughed. I know you all don't believe me that 17 women stuffed in one house could have a flawless weekend together, but then, that's probably because you don't know Laura.

One of the best parts of the weekend was reconnecting with friends I haven't seen in many years. Some of this is due to them moving away from Chicago and some due to my five years away from Chicago. It was super fun to see friends from undergrad, which somehow was 16 years ago now.

I managed to connect with a few more at the wedding itself, which was the #hottestpartyinchicago. Again, everyone was all smiles all night in celebration of the bride and groom. We may have been dripping sweat, but it didn't stop us from drinking, dancing, and laughing and laughing and laughing.

Laura, thank you for being such a good friend to me and building bridges between your friends. I love love love being a part of this group of smart, silly, thoughtful, supportive, welcoming, badass women. Thank you for bringing us together again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment