Saturday, January 3, 2015

#36 - Read 30 Books

On 11/11/14, I thought I had finished this item because in my head it was 20 books.  So I had to fit in 10 more.  Special thanks to Evelyn Sommariva for some last-minute loans.  Where I took notes, I have included a favorite quote.  Where I did not, I included the first line so I wouldn't spoil anything.  Funny, the books I finished were mostly school-related (though mostly still very enjoyable) or pretty...  well, easy, popular reads.  I guess that's what I needed.  I had hoped to finish Confederacy of Dunces, The Book Thief, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, and Mockingjay, but I just couldn't keep the pages turning during the turbulence of my last cross-country flight.  They'll be at the top of the list in 2015.  I also think I finished The Location of Culture and Communicating in the Third Space, but somehow I didn't record those, and I suppose it doesn't actually matter because either way I reached my goal!

My year in books... minus 2 that I couldn't find...
1.  Darkness Visible by William Styron
1/4/14, gifted to me by Kathy Krone & Jerry Krone
Currently misplaced

2.  Dharma and Development by Joanna Macy
1/5/14, assigned to me by Cheryl Getz
"Even if, after it is all over, the village seems to revert to business-as-usual, it is never quite the same; for the experience of sharing and working together is not forgotten, nor are the skills acquired in organizing the event erased." (p. 52)

3.  Tea Time with Terrorists by Mark Stephen Meadows
1/10/14, assigned to me by Cheryl Getz
"If terrorists were dangerous enough to provoke sweeping changes in our federal laws, I felt, then they were dangerous enough for me to try to understand them." (p. 29)

4.  The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
1/25/14, loaned to me by Kathy Krone & Jerry Krone
"An estimated 600 women served during the American Civil War." (p. 3)

5.  Buddhism at Work by George D. Bond
2/1/14, assigned to me by Cheryl Getz
"The Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement represents one of the earliest expressions of what has come to be known as socially engaged Buddhism." (p. 1)

6.  Suckers Portfolio by Kurt Vonnegut
2/1/14
Current misplaced

7.  Divergent by Veronica Roth
2/18/14
"There is one mirror in my house." (p. 1)

8.  Presence by Peter Senge, Otto Scharmer, Joseph Jaworski, and Betty Sue Flowers
3/10/14, assigned to the class I TA'ed by Zachary Green
"'I worry much more today about unquestioned answers than about unanswered questions.'"

9.  Insurgent by Veronica Roth
3/18/14
"I wake with his name in my mouth." (p. 1)

10.  Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge
?, assigned to the class I TA'ed by Zachary Green
"Colleagueship does not mean that you need to agree or share the same views.  On the contrary, the real power of seeing each other as colleagues comes into play when there are differences of view." (p. 228)

11.  Allegiant by Veronica Roth
?
"I pace in our cell in Erudite headquarters, her works echoing in my mind: My name is Edith Prior, and there is so much I am happy to regret."  (p. 1)

12.  Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
4/29/14, assigned to me by Fred Galloway
"People tend to assess the relative importance of issues by the ease with which they are retrieved from memory -- and this is largely determined by the extent of coverage in the media." (p. 8)

13.  Outdoor Leadership 
5/14/14, assigned to the class I TA'ed by Mark Ceder
"This text takes a core-competencies approach to understanding the practice of outdoor leadership" (p. xiv).

14.  127 Hours by Aron Ralston
5/15/13
"He was a better boatman than a cowboy, a better cook than a train robber, but John Griffith, with the distinguishing mark of one blue eye and one brown eye, became a favored extra hand with the Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy's gang, during his time in the Robbers Roost country of eastern Utah." (p. xi)

15.  Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
5/18/14, reread after being assigned to me by Zachary Green
"This is as obvious as affirming that a person learns to swim in water, not in a library." (p. 137)

16.  Looking for Alaska by John Green
6/7/14
"'...Takumi, you gotta stop stealing other people's problems and get some of your own.'"  (p. 43)

17.  Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
8/4/14, loaned to me by Kevin Robitaille
"'We should start back,' Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them."  (p.1).

18.  InterViews
9/14/14, assigned to me by Paula Cordeiro and Lea Hubbard
"Give your whole attention to the person interviewed, and make it evident you are doing so" (p. 45).

19.  Paris Was Ours, edited by Penelope Rowlands
11/7/14, gifted to me by Kathy Krone
"We had passionate, terrible arguments, about time and space and other Kantian issues, until finally it became unbearable to stay."  (p. 237)

20.  A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin
11/12/14, loaned to me by Kevin Robitaille
"The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky."  (p. 1)

21.  Hunger Games by Suzette Collins
12/8/14 (for the 3rd time)
"When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold" (p. 3).

22.  Leadership and the New Science by Margaret Wheatley
12/21/14, mentioned enough by Zachary Green that I couldn't resist anymore
"What if we slip out quietly along the curvature of space, out into its far reaches?  What if, once there, we adjust our eyes to the invisible?  There, instead of emptiness, we will see a richness of organizing energies.  We once were made secure by things visible, by structures we could see.  Now it is time to embrace the invisible.  In a world where matter can be immaterial, where influences move among us unseen, why not contemplate the influence of fields?  For such a little act of faith, space awaits, filled with possibilities" (p. 58).

23.  Catching Fire by Suzette Collins
12/25/14 (for the 3rd time)
"I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air" (p. 3).

24.  Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crocket Johnson
12/28/14, loaned to me by Evelyn Sommariva from the collection of Leo & Garrett Sommariva

25.  Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
12/28/14, loaned to me by Evelyn Sommariva from the collection of Leo & Garrett Sommariva
"One day, Little Sal went with her mother to Blueberry Hill to pick blueberries."

26.  Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
12/29/14, loaned to me by Evelyn Sommariva from the collection of Leo & Garrett Sommariva
"In the great green room there was a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of --"

27.  Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling by Edgar Schein
12/31/14
"Here I also have a choice.  I can either not commit to tasks that make me dependent on others, or I can deny the dependency, avoid feeling humble, fail to get what I need, and, thereby, fail to accomplish the task or unwittingly sabotage it.  Unfortunately people often would rather fail than to admit their dependency on someone else" (p. 12).

28.  Excuse Me: A Little Book of Manners by Karen Katz
12/31/14, loaned to me by Evelyn Sommariva from the collection of Leo & Garrett Sommariva
"Mommy says, 'Do you want peas for breakfast?'"

29.  All by Myself by Mercer Mayer
12/31/14, loaned to me by Evelyn Sommariva from the collection of Leo & Garrett Sommariva
"I can get out of bed all by myself."

30.  Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
12/31/14, loaned to me by Kevin Robitaille
"The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent" (p. 1),

No comments:

Post a Comment