Wednesday, November 26, 2014

#43 - Snorkel Somewhere New



I had also forgotten that snorkeling somewhere new was on my list.  Thankfully, on day 2 of our trip to Catalina, Vanessa Vadnal brought it up as something she wanted to do.  Erin Gillespie and I jumped on board quickly.  Laura Masters thought she was just going to hang at the beach, but she ended up joining us in the water too.


Laura's wet suit was super awkward.
We suited up, snorkeled up, and awkwardly walked over the very rocky beach to the water.  Then we awkwardly put on our fins.




The water in Catalina is incredibly clear.  As soon as we put our faces in the water, we could see clear to the bottom as well as fish in every direction.  There were bright orange garibaldi, the California state marine fish everywhere.  We swam further to a kelp forest where bright and muted fish darted in and out everywhere.  I swear I saw a purple-ish orange angelfish in there somewhere.  It was definitely the deepest I'd ever swam in an ocean.  If that were still on my list, like it was last year, I would have checked yet another one off!  At one point we were probably swimming above water that was 16 or so feet deep.  (No, that's not that deep, but somehow the deep ocean really freaks me out even though I'm a strong swimmer.)  I had to turn back once we got to the clear, deep area because my motion sickness set in.  On the swim back there was this huge school of fish that was barely phased with 4 humans swimming around them.

I pulled myself through the rocks to a half wall, tried to keep myself from retching, and waited for the game.  I'm still really glad we went, and I hope I can find some motion sickness solution for snorkeling because it's so exhilarating!


No comments:

Post a Comment