Thursday, July 7, 2011

#82 Visit the Sears Tower Observation Deck











I had lots of volunteers but it took an out-of-tower to actually make me go to the 103rd floor.






I have never gone up in the Sears (yeah, it's Willis now, but not in my heart) Tower before because




1. I have tourist anxiety and there's not much more touristy than going high up in the air of the tallest building in North America just to look around.




2. I have an elevator phobia. Don't worry. It's not a disorder (yet). I will never say no to something if there is an elevator, but I won't seek them out and I would definitely prefer the stairs. (We'll see how that works out when Zann & I climb those 103 flights later this year). But I really don't like them. Thanks to South Quad, where I stayed for volleyball camp in 7th and 8th grade and the elevators were always broken, so we'd get stuck in them and the big high school wrestlers would pry the doors apart between floors.






So after a lovely Italian dinner and before a night at Second City, Alan Fortunate and I weaved through the maze of rooms they make you go through before getting there and waited to be crammed into elevators with the rest of the small crowd.




I did okay on the elevator. Just sweaty palms. No freak out. With that much build up, I was nervous.







Weirdly, I'm totally cool with heights. Well, mostly. We went around and saw the views from all four cardinal directions: saw the aquarium, Soldier Field, Komisky, the lake, the Chicago Match Race boats (hey guys!), and on and on. It was cool. I guess.







We then waited for a giant family to take 250 pictures on the little overhang glass window things. I didn't do as well there. I could only squat just on the glass. No sitting. No standing. Definitely no lying down like Al did.



Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment