Sunday, December 22, 2019

#17 - Eat Vegetarian for 7 Days

Vegetarian eggs benedict
Well, I was getting a little anxious about what I could actually get done before the end of the year, so I thought I'd pop this one in the mix to knock one down.

Missing Costa Rica
The reason I have add items related to vegetarianism and veganism--in combination with eating animals I've myself caught/slaughtered--is that I've been doing my best to be come a more ethical omnivore, an idea inspired by reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and Animal, Vegetable, Mineral. While I believe that with small, ethical farms, it is possible to be an ethical omnivore, I also understand the impact that eating animals has on the environment. So, this effort to develop a less meat-needy palate comes from my desire to eat more environmentally ethically.

Tofu and root vegetable bake, a standard for the winter
Breakfast tacos!
I've always assumed that I am a person who is very protein needy, and finding vegetable-based proteins has always seemed cumbersome to me. Like, I don't want to eat every 15 minutes just because my proteins have less calories and now I'm hungry again.

After trying this for one, two, three... seven days, I can tell you, that did not happen. With some thought and creativity in the kitchen, things I'm already working on, I was very happy and satisfied with my meals, and in fact, am so glad I froze so many leftovers to eat later.

I won't describe each meal I had, but the photos included here are some shining examples of the delightful meat-free meals I had over the week--and one at a restaurant that was a bit lacking.

Lemony lentil soup
I am so glad I did this and can't wait to incorporate more meat-free meals, soon completely animal-free meals, into my diet in an effort to do my part for this beautiful earth.

Just a pretty salad

No comments:

Post a Comment