Saturday, April 8, 2017

#46 - Watch 3 Academy Award-winning Films I've Never Seen

1 - Moonlight
My viewing partner:
He loved all three because I stayed home with
him to watch them.
3/24/17
Won Best Picture in 2017
What a beautiful film. The story was compelling and the themes surprising but realistic. I don't know that I've ever seen so much communicated when so little was said.

2 - The Deerhunter
4/1/17
Won Best Picture in 1978
This wasn't what I was expecting. I don't know what I was expecting. But it wasn't this. It was interesting because so many of the actors in this film have become icons... but I was still able to see them in the roles because I had never before watched films where they had been that young. While it was incredibly long, I was invested in the story. Parts were hard to watch, on purpose, and I really didn't know where it was going to end up. While I felt like it could have been more polished, it really added some difficult tensions and emotions about the Vietnam war without being too heavy handed about commenting on war and instead focusing on the humanity of the characters. So interesting.

3 - Unforgiven
4/8/17
Won Best Picture in 1992
I don't get it. I wasn't that interested in the story. It wasn't all that well acted. None of the characters were likable except the prostitutes, who got nothing except revenge, as if that's enough. I thought at least at the end we'd find out home-dude's kids were okay after he left literal children alone in the Western wilderness to fend for themselves when their pigs kept getting sick and dying. Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment