Tuesday, April 21, 2015

#90 - Celebrate Patriot's Day in Boston

I only took video of the women, but here are the elite men.

As you may know from some of my other blog posts, I'm a runner (2011, 2014, 2014) .  I've been a runner for as long as I can remember, I guess.  I mean, I wasn't running races at 8 years old or anything, but I know I joined the cross country team in sixth grade and ran track through high school.  In high school, I became aware of the Boston Marathon, and ever since then, it's been a dream of mine... to watch it.  For some reason, running it was never the dream.  I have one full marathon under my belt and no desire to a full marathon ever again.

The trouble has been threefold
1.  The Boston Marathon is on a Monday, specifically Patriot's Day.
2.  Flights that weekend are always expensive.
3.  I keep moving further and further away.

This year, however, I did not get a real winter break.  My qualifying paper for my dissertation was due January 5, so I spent my entire "break" writing.  Because I am not a workaholic, that did not sit well with me, so in addition to conferences in Ann Arbor and Dallas, I booked leisure trips to Chicago and Boston.  I was finally going to make it to the Boston Marathon courtesy of my dear friends and list champions Alan Fortunate and Angela Mioglionico.

I spent a lovely weekend doing typical Bostonian things (e.g. watching Good Will Hunting) with My Favorite Al.  Then then Monday morning, we woke up bright and early -- okay, bright and early Pacific time -- and walked from Brighton to Cleveland Circle for a very delightful marathon viewing party hosted by Jessie Cox and roommates.  There were all of my favorite morning activities: mimosas, running, bagels, and friendship.

We were easily able to catch the lead wheelchair competitors, women's elite, and men's elite.  That was pretty damn sweet for a running nerd like me.

Instagrams "Highest Quality Aid Station"
We then shortly became what instagram calls "the highest quality aid station" as we stood between miles 22 and 23 under a bright orange Harpoon tent and handed out beers to anyone who requested one.  We had a lot of takers.  They were fantastic.

The weather was miserable.  It was rainy, windy, and cold.  Terrible running and viewing conditions.  Having been on the other side of the barrier, it made me feel like we had an even more valuable role as spectators.


Despite the weather, it was a really fun day, and I hope to do it again under better conditions someday!


3 comments:

  1. Somehow I randomly ended up on your blog today and I just have to say, I love this! Such a great idea! Being an avid runner myself, I've always dreamed about going to the Boston Marathon, but since I am from the West Coast, it never seemed like it would ever happen. At least not for a LONG time. This year I actually happened to be just outside of Boston over the weekend, but I never actually made it over to watch the race. Can you believe it? I know I'm a little late for 2015, but I definitely need to write down a list and start crossing things off. Thank you for your inspiration!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I randomly ended up on your blog today and I just have to say, I love this! Such a great idea! Being an avid runner myself, I've always dreamed about going to the Boston Marathon, but since I am from the West Coast, it never seemed like it would ever happen. At least not for a LONG time. This year I actually happened to be just outside of Boston over the weekend, but I never actually made it over to watch the race. Can you believe it? I know I'm a little late for 2015, but I definitely need to write down a list and start crossing things off. Thank you for your inspiration!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheering on at such a cool event...awesome list item, and great aid-stationing! :)

    ReplyDelete