Tuesday, January 21, 2014

#95 - Summit a New Mountain



Climbing Sigiriya Rock in Sri Lanka was not quite what I had in mind when I added this list item.  I was imagining an actual mountain, going along a trail, even if it were just a short, couple-hour hike.  However, once we reached the top of Sigiriya Rock, I knew it exceeded all of my expectations for a fantastic climb.

12 of us climbed 1202 stairs.  First we went up the front stairs where we could see a meditation cave, 2 species of monkeys, and several iguanas.  We could see the remains of the moats, walls, gardens, and pools of the king who made this natural fortress his home.  Then we went up some narrow passageways along the face of the rock to see some paintings 1500 years old.  We then reached a spectacular landing where we snapped some photos before going through the Lion's Throat.  Two paws of the original lion remain, flanking the stairway to the top.  There used to be a lion's head, so climbers would literally go into the lion's throat.  Many more steps later, we made it to the top, which is covered with remains of the king's palace.  The views were incredible.

Sadly due to injury and illness, Cheryl and Neda could not come with us to the top physically but Karen called them to the top during one of my favorite moments of the trip.

I really loved this stop on our trip.







No comments:

Post a Comment