Monday, September 23, 2013

#35 - Snorkel

  I am, and likely many of my friends, colleagues, and even acquaintances are, surprised I haven't done this one yet.  Though...  after doing it, I'm not sure I'm a snorkler.

I've always wanted to snorkel... and also to swim with sharks.  I found a Groupon for a Shark Tour for Two in La Jolla Cover, which is where the leopard sharks gather every August and September.

Grace Bagunu was again my company in this endeavor.  I'll give the whole experience in my next post so as not to be too repetitive.

I will say that I was totally freaked out most of the time, with the murky water and with the large and stinging animals that were everywhere, the first of which I saw at only 3-4 feet deep: a 4-5 foot leopard shark.  There were people swimming and surfing and snorkeling everywhere in there.  I kept thinking, um... so are these creatures, like, everywhere when I'm surfing too?  Because um... probably!

I also got really, really motion sick probably 30 minutes in and headed in early.  I know I am sensitive to motion sickness but had never gotten motion sick outside of a vehicle.  Usually I'm in a car, plane, even on a boat.  When I surf or swim, I'm fine.  Well, floating and getting thrown around the in the tide and a hazy bottom sure did the trick.


I hope I'll prepare better and try it again.

1 comment:

  1. I'd never seen stingray or sharks when snorkeling...this is amazing! I think you've inspired me to put "scuba dive" or "swim with sharks" on my next list!

    ReplyDelete