Monday, June 10, 2013

#87 - Join a League in San Diego

Again, I forgot that this one was on my list.  That was probably partly because I have been on the USD Club Beach Volleyball team since the fall and we play in a league.  But when I wrote this goal, I meant join a league, as in just that, and play the whole thing.

I signed up as a free agent for a 4 on 4 co-ed competitive beach league on Wednesday nights.  I was a bit nervous about it because volleyball is one of the very, very few things about which I am a complete snob.  However, I never played on any official, organized team, in high school or anything.  I mean, I tried out in high school:  freshman year I got cut; sophomore year I quit during try outs and opted for indoor track instead; junior year I was in the last 6 cut from the varsity squad; and I guess I just didn't try out senior year. I was pretty into track by that time.  Strangely, I don't think I missed a single summer of volleyball camp though, and my last 2 years I was in the highest group, along with the varsity players, at Concordia's camp.  I was a weird kid.

So between my lack of organized-experience and snobbery, I have a little window of players I like to play with but who aren't too snobby to play with me (something I can appreciate).

I am so thankful that my Vavi teammates seem to lie right in that window.  So far I've played with Barry, Sam, Chelsea, and Jess.  Chelsea played D2 and is pretty good.  The rest of us seem to have a range of experience but enough skill that it's fun.

Plus, it's hard to do anything but smile and enjoy myself playing on Ocean Beach just before sunset each week.  The surfers, the bonfires, the volleyball, and just (pretty &) happy people.  San Diego life is good.

UPDATE: I was also invited to join the UM Young Alumni Kickball team, so thanks to Adam Borson.

No comments:

Post a Comment