Thursday, October 13, 2011

#34 - Volunteer for a race

I've read many a time that one way to inspire oneself to run is to volunteer at a race. I have been inspired watching the Chicago marathon for many years (except the year I ran it, but that's another story), so I figured that volunteering at the Chicago marathon wo
uld be supremely inspirational.

(<--- This girl's sign says, "Go Total Stranger!" Awesome.)




All I had to do was sign up online and I was assigned to be a Course Marshall. Fancy. I didn't have to hand out water or anything.

Getting there was a little tough. Michigan played at Northwestern the night before, so I was with the gang getting my Wolverine on until about midnight in Evanston.

I got up at 5:30am, got ready as quietly as possible so as not wake the beautiful Virus sleeping on my couch. (The story isn't as

good as the nickname, so if you don't know i
t, don't even bother asking. I won't tell you.) And I biked to Boystown to arrive at the Caribou Coffee by 6:30am. There was a little confusion on what I was doing until I found my name on the Course Marshall list. I got my jacket, hat, and assignment and then sat on the curb with some other volunteers until about 8:00am when the lead wheelchair athletes came through. That
was pretty cool.

Around 8:10am, the lead runners came through. I've never quite made it to the marathon in time to see them before - no offense, friends I've gone to watch in the past, ha - and it was pretttty cool.

My job was just to keep the course clear, and there was no real need of that because I wasn't in a crowded area. No one even asked me directions. Or how far until mile 8. Or the water. Nothing.

So I just cheered on runners for about 3 and a half hours. I had a lovely time. The only people I saw whom I knew were Benny, who was just accompanying a friend, and Pablo, a former employee of mine.

I would and probably will do this again. I had a great time. And got some sweet gear. Win-win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment