Tuesday, June 11, 2024

#52 - Try a New Physical Activity

I didn't even realize I was checking off a list item until I was on my way to Barre 3 to do a Brawl class until I was on my way to meet Melissa, who generously invited me to be her guest to try it out! 

Brawl is a 50-minute cardio kickboxing class... at a barre studio, so there are some bar elements. Our instructor Sarah led us through a tough workout. She was fully of energy and spot on with her cueing, though many were very new to me. 

While I got a great workout and certainly broke a sweat, group fitness just isn't my thing, really. There are a few exceptions. I love love love the "right" yoga class--meaning there has to be some self-reflection and connection and there absolutely should not be any hand weights or other exercise equipment. I enjoy barre classes. I can get down with pilates. I enjoyed the one boxing class I went to and hope to do more.

I think perhaps I only want to take classes when I feel like I couldn't do those things on my own. I mean, I can do yoga on my own, but the type of yoga classes I like include "spiritual" or reflective cues and connection. And I don't have a barre, pilates equipment, or boxing equipment. 

Otherwise, I want to workout on my own, at a time of my choosing, for as long as I see fit.

But I'm glad I went, as it's cool to try new things and learn about myself!

Thank you, Miss!

(Oh, and no pics because we were sweaty and not photo ready.)

No comments:

Post a Comment