Saturday, December 25, 2021

#86 - Visit a New National Park

While I wrote this item with the intention of exploring more U.S. national parks, I have certainly jumped at the chance to visit national parks in other countries, particularly the very beautiful Costa Rica--the most biodiverse country in the world. During our December trip, I took a trip to Manuel Antonio National Park with Chris Krone and then a second trip with my parents. 

Both trips were lovely, and we spent hours wandering the jungle and beach.


The capuchins in the park are so laid back and playful.






Mangroves are weird.


Squirrel monkeys


Land crabs, which only emerge during the day a handful of days per year. They were EVERYWHERE.


My favorite insect: The leaf cutter ants. I adore them.
They cut pieces of leaves from trees and then march them in a line, down the tree, making trails as they go, back to the hole where they live, so more ants can chew them up, spit them out, effectively farming and harvesting the mold they eat.


I have no idea how many flights of stairs we climbed that day. 20? 30?

And then we got to views like this:



And this:


When we came back down from the Cathedral Loop, we had a lovely time watching the capuchins at the beach.


On my second trip (with my parents), we got to see the capuchins frolicking in the mangroves, a whole family, including playful little ones. The capuchins at Manuel Antonio are pretty chill since they're used to people walking through their home every day. Also, visitors are not allowed to bring food into the park, so they don't look to people to feed them, which is important in keeping tourism in Costa Rica (and everywhere) eco-friendly, which is certainly a value on display in this beautiful country.



Chris & I had a fun time exploring the tide pools.
We saw an eel, fish, and many, many hermit crabs.


Just <3 




No comments:

Post a Comment