Friday, June 5, 2015

#25 - Defend My Dissertation Proposal (Part 2)

Christopher, me, Zachary, and Lee

My committee has and will continue to play an important part in my dissertation.  I'm so grateful for their energy and time because they are not only pushing me to a better dissertation, but they are pushing me to be a better researcher, a better professional, a better person.  I am so thankful for Christopher, Lee, and Zachary.  Thank you.

In the weeks before my defense, Annie Ngo kindly read through my survey, and Mariko Peshon was a gracious audience for a practice run.  I am extremely grateful for their feedback and encouragement.

On the day of the proposal, I ran into a few hiccups, but I had the overwhelming feeling that everything was going to work out perfectly, so there was no need to worry.

When I was leaving the house, I couldn't find the bracelet my aunt had made when my cousin Brandon died.  I searched a bit and then resolved to grab a photo of him, and there was the bracelet, hanging right next to the picture.  No need to worry.

I arrived at the building an hour early.  There were two students studying in the room I was assigned and seemed a little perturbed I was shuffling around.  The printer didn't want to print the qualifying form my committee needed to sign.  The computer took a long time loading.  I couldn't find my thumb drive.  My computer wouldn't recognize the drive Mari loaned me.  Heather loaned me another, and the main computer wouldn't recognize that.  Heather came over to help with the set up.  My committee started to arrive.  Christopher loaned me his computer.  Heather loaned me a clicker.  Everything was set to go just in time.

The room filled with supportive faces.  I felt very held by the group who showed up, and I have a lot of gratitude for the energy my committee, friends, colleagues, and a few strangers brought to that room.
Thank you
The presentation itself was a little longer than it should have been, but I felt calm and confident throughout.


The questions were tough, but none were jarring.  I was eager for the conversation.

While the committee debated, I waited outside with friends for what seemed like forever.

Then they called me back in, told me I passed with minor revisions, and gave me some lovely feedback and suggestions that only felt like they were making my work even stronger.

Later that night, I celebrated with a few friends who had been there during the proposal and a few others who weren't, and it was perfect.

Thank you, everyone, for your energy yesterday!


No comments:

Post a Comment