Wednesday, September 21, 2011

#66 - Build a fire.

Yes, I know building a fire isn't rocket science. But I've never done it. I've helped, but I've never built my own.

I was back in Ann Arbor for the Michigan v. Eastern Michigan football game. (A HUGE family rivalry. We talk about it all year old. It's crazy. You should come next time. Go Blue!) I told my dad that I was hoping to see Evelyn while I was back. I said told him she said that she and/or Brian could help me build a fire. The conversation proceeded like this:

"I can build a fire."
"Okay."
"I used to build them all the time in the backyard."

All the time? Debatable. "Okay, Dad. Well, I was just thinking of what Evelyn could help me do and she and Brian go camping and fishing and stuff, so I thought she could probably build a fire."
"I was an Eagle Scout."
"Dad, would you like to
help me build a fire on Sunday?"
"Yes."

On Sunday, Dad grabbed a hatchet and matches and we went into the yard. He told me to pick up some small sticks from a pile in a flower garden next to the driveway.

"You just keep a pile of small sticks? And this is where you keep them?"

"No."

We gathered dead leaves. Then he ripped some bark off of a log. There has always been a pile of logs in the backyard for indoor, fireplace fires. I have seen my dad build those many times. I still don't recall an outdoor fire. I hope he's too old to figure out how to actually read this blog because I'm sure I'll get a lecture about it later if he finds out. has

He moved some other log things to uncover lots of bugs, including this slug. I did my best to help the slug survive, but he kept crawling towards the spot where we were going to build the fire. I think he lived. F those earwigs though. I hate those things.

So I piled some dead leaves and then made a stick pyramid on top of the leaves. I guess my pyramid was too pyramidy because Dad stepped on it to squash it down. He

also chopped some wood shavings, with a box cutter though, not the hatchet. I guess the hatchet was
just for show.

The fire was a success. I can't wait to build a bigger one, with Chris and Chris' advice, which is just keep piling on bigger and bigger sticks and then logs until either it's as tall as me or until I can't lift anything heavier. Man, I miss the days of having 2 Chrises in the house.

Thanks, Dad! Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment